Intro to Siva Feed...

Leave a Comment
Hi, all. Welcome to my feed. Here I am going to share my own experiences and the projects I made. This is my first feed here, and I am going to elaborate who am I here.

Now I am 20+. Ya still I am a teenager :P I am a computer enthusiast ( I think I am ); I love computers from my very young age, from the age of 7( 2002). The first operating system I used was windows 98, but that was for gaming purpose only, and it went on until I am 17 years. Ya, I didn't have much interest in other computers activities except gaming until I am 17 (2012). At the age of 17, I had the chance to participate in a community meetup conducted Yarl IT Hub, and I think it is in the month of June or July. I went there and seated myself in a corner. I didn't know anyone in that hall so I sit quietly (But that is not my character).
The First meetup ( i am the one behind the Standing JK )
There were some interesting talks and interactive activities happening.

And, I still remember the database session by Mr.K.Preethiviraj

“What is a database? Don’t know? Just think of an army base. In an army base, there are groups of army, like that in a database, there is a group of data”
Mr.K.Preethiviraj On that meetup with that cool T-Shirt
This is an extract he told. I still use this same line to introduce database when someone asks me doubts about databases. Also, he explained about the graph database used by the Facebook (at that time Facebook did not introduce the graph search). Those made me study these myself. Also, he introduced the word hackathon. He used his T-shirt to give an explanation. To be honest, that meetup gave me more knowledge than the classroom study. So I started to dig more into these things. Because I don't like to be a silent listener.
  ( P.S : - After this meetup I never missed any meetup of Yarl IT Hub )

The actual turning point.


After this, I didn’t have any contact with the Yarl IT Hub or its activities. One day, one of my favourite and respected teachers, Mr.R.Kumaran asked me to come and meet another boy. I went to meet him. Our Teacher said, "There is a competition called “Yarl Geek Challenge” happening at TCT ( one of the halls in Jaffna ) and all the schools are being sent there. But no teams have gone from our school. So you two must go and participate in that competition." He is the one I respect most, so I couldn't say no, so reply him “Yes sir “ The other boy also said yes.

( P.S : I am 18 on that time, so my main aim is to cut the subjects and have fun with friends, and also sir indicates all the schools so …………… were also there :P I think you got it )

But when we went there, there were rules which said only 3 individual per team. The other boy had a friend with him, but not me. I left that  team and joined with my two other friends and had some fun. On that time, YIT (Yarl IT hub) arranged a workshop for all the school students about bootstrap (still I use that ). The workshop was crystal clear, I understood every word told at that workshop. After that workshop, we start to have fun.

On that time, Lacksika Akka (one of the YIT member. Akka means – Sister) had asked us about our plan. Actually, we didn’t have a plan. So to hide that we told her that we didn't have a laptop to do. Then she gave her laptop and wished us best of luck. Then we decided to do something and started to do a html page for tourism :P .

At the same time, on the other side of the hall. The competition was being held for seniors (school leavers). Mr.S.Ramanan, one of my best friends brother, was the mentor for that.  At the lunch time, he met me and told,

“If you are participating in a hackathon then your idea must be crazy, and it must be useful also”

So again we erased all our plan and thought of something new. We thought of what to do and the idea came to our mind is the usual thing that happens at our school: head break. So we built an application for that and called it as “E-Service”


My special thanks to google and Ramanan anna (anna means brother) who helped me to complete that application, and by the end of the second day, we went to present it, in front of the judging panel. At that time, I had a deep stage fear, so I didn’t present it in English while others presented it in English. But luckily we got the 1st Price. And I was shocked. Because when I came to the competition I didn't know anything, but in two days I learned and got something from it.
This incident changed me fully. Computer became my passion.
The Group photo after our competition 

After this, I participated many competitions and hackathons. Won some;Lost in some, but I never lost my courage.

Now I am 20+ studying HND in Software development at ICBT, one of the private colleges in Sri Lanka. Also an author of hackercg.com, one of the cyber security blogs.

If you have any questions Feel free me to talk to me on the social media or send a message to my email id sivarathans@gmail.com


Next PostNewer Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment